Living in Australia

Australia has an excellent international reputation for its quality of life and higher education institutions. International students who choose to pursue their education in Australia have many options on their preferred accommodation for the duration of their studies.

Accommodation options

From renting an apartment, flat sharing or staying in hostels, it is important to know what works best for you before you enter into a rental contract with a property agent, service provider or landlord. 

Hostel accommodation is ideal if you are not accustomed to living independently. Also known as university village, hall or dormitory living, living in a hostel provides you with the support of a senior resident or co-ordinator who will act as a liaison to help you settle into your accommodation.

You will also find it easier to make new friends, as compared to renting an apartment. Depending on the location of your hostel, it can cost from between $150 to $400 a week, excluding utilities.

Alternatively, you can stay with an Australian family as part of a Homestay scheme, which is perfect for international students looking to experience the Australian lifestyle.

Homestay accommodation usually offers meals and board, and allows you to pick up English. Some universities offer Homestay options for its international students and these services can cost from $120 to $350 per week, with most utilities included.

Where to stay

Australia is a large country, and its universities are known to have various campuses across the city, suburbs and regional towns. Living in the city will cost more than living in the suburbs and regional towns.

Certain courses may not be held at the main campus and you may also be required to change campus during your course. Check with your course co-ordinator where you will be studying and whether there will be any campus changes before entering into a long-term accommodation contract.

Transportation options to your campus play a crucial factor when deciding on your preferred accommodation. If you have a driving license, you may need to convert to an Australian-approved license. You may also need to check the cost of parking within your campus and accommodation provider.


Rental properties usually have a term contract attached to it, with an annual contract being the most common.

Instead of signing up for a long-term contract immediately, most international students sign on a short-term lease while they look for other affordable accommodation during their time in Australia. Temporary accommodation gives you time to make friends and become familiar with the surrounding areas and transportation options.

Find graduate degree courses at leading Australian universities.